Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Three Different Awesome Ads - Semiotics

Print Ad:

I actually never saw this ad in print, but instead found it on the internet. I believe it's cute and simple, while it seamlessly gets the point across. The chicken and the egg are iconic symbols; the chicken is there to symbolize lunch while the egg is there to symbolize breakfast. The connotation between these two symbols is hilarious, the chicken is shocked to see the egg, just like a someone who was smelling egg on someones breath would react. This reaction goes well with the slogan "don't let lunch meet breakfast". The myth of this ad is, that if you chew orbit gum after breakfast, your breath will not smell like egg but rather like that minty cool feeling you can observe by the ad's background.



Billboard Ad: This is another ad I have not seen personally but it is the most creative billboard ad I have witnessed. The denotation of this image is obviously the man ripping the billboard with his teeth. The connotation we perceive is that his teeth must be really strong to do that. I know my teeth couldn't personally do that. So the association between denotation and connotation is that, this toothpaste in the corner of the ad is made to build strong teeth just like their slogan says. I believe this was a great use of the slogan and overall photograph the ad has.




Commercial Ad: The semiotics of this ad are a little more difficult to point out, and there don't seem to be any symbols in this ad, but ever since I watched the Superbowl I could not appreciate any other commercial as much as I love this one. The denotation of this ad is the apparent goat eating Doritos all day long. The connotation of this ad is that these Doritos are so good not only do humans love them, but goats love them so much that it's a problem. The myth surrounding this ad is that these chips are just too damn good. Period

1 comment: